Friday, August 7, 2009

The Mind Of A Six Year Old


It was 7:59pm and 59 seconds. To be honest, I was done being a parent for the night and I was so ready for the animals, I mean "darling children" to go to bed. I tucked them in, wishing that I had slipped them a little benadryl, to help them sleep better - which I would not do, for all those astonished mothers out there. Anyways, I got cozy on the couch, nestled my bowl of strawberries and whip cream on my lap, preparing my mind to slow down. And I heard it. WHAAA! WHAAA! WHAAA! Frustrated I got up and walked to Gianna's room. "What's wrong" I asked, pretending that I was concerned. "I don't want to grow up" she cried with the biggest tears I have seen! "Why are you worried about that?" "Because", she replied. "I don't want to drive!" "Well, " I said, trying hard not to laugh. " You won't be grown up for a long time. You don't have to worry". I hugged her. "How many days?" she asked as she wrapped her tiny fingers around my neck. "Thousands upon thousands" I said as I kissed her wet chubby face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie T. says:
I agree! Growing up is frightening.
But by the time you apply for Medicare,you've learned to drive and most of the other scary things have passed, and you'll see that they weren't so bad.... some even delightful. So, Gianna, just enjoy every day as it comes. By the time you have to face the hard stuff, you'll be bigger and have experienced life a little more. You'll do fine!

Anonymous said...

Awe. That is sooo sweet.

(You may have read this on my FB)

The other day me and my almost 6 year old were driving and after he correctly used "air quotes" about something he was asking me, which was HILARIOUS (and he said he learned from Patrick on SpongeBob), AC/DC was playing and I asked him who was on the radio and he said "R2/D2?" SOOO funny.

Jenny