Monday, December 7, 2009

9 Months and The Labor of Love

Everyone has a box that they hide in the back of their closets and no matter where you go or where you move - it is always there- until you decide to get rid of it! The box of guilt, shame lonliness...the list goes on and on. For the last nine months since my friend Shannan died, I've had the "Where were you God Box". I've felt the sadness. I've felt the guilt of getting to hug her nine year old son and I've felt the guilt of tucking him in. And then it hit me - I should be thankful. Thankful that I get to do that for Shannan and for her son. That I can be a part of this whole story. I grabbed my box, dusted it off, and handed it over in thankfulness. But this story gets better. 9 months to the day, this little boy called me on the phone and at the end of the phone call he said, "Bye, I love you." What a precious gift, that I have been given. This last nine months has been such a labor of love - just like a nine month pregnancy. The pains, the uncomfortableness, the sickness, but in the end, when all is delivered....there is such beauty that you hold on to. And when that boy said he loved me...I felt the freedom of letting go of that box.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's powerful!
Everything for your good, right?

love you.
Tina

Rochelle said...

Yes, everything is for the good..even when you can't see it in the midst of it all

Anonymous said...

WOW! This should be published. It's like a paragraph from your book "In the Last Year". It makes me tear up, smile but most of all be thankful that God gave you the gift of caring and gave me the gift of your awesome friendship 30 years ago. Love ya!

V

Unknown said...

I love you so much. We all have a very special gift in our life, and that gift is you.