Friday, January 9, 2009

How Did I Get Here?


I can close my eyes sometimes and completely revert back to my younger days. I can smell the stuffy cafeteria, envision my friend with oranges stuck in her braces, feel the slick parachute pants against my legs, and feel the pain of my calloused hands from the monkey bars. THOSE WERE THE DAYS! And in an instant......I'm 35! What? How can that be? Who pressed the fast forward button? I have a house. I have a husband. I have children. I drive a minivan. I have a job. I'm an adult! But, I must say.....sometimes I don't feel like one. I still feel like a kid inside. I still love to sit around with my friends, eat ice cream, and laugh until my stomach screams! I've been evaluating my life.....since 35 is sooooo close to 40! Am I who I want to be? Hmmmm? The answer? Sometimes. There are moments in my life that I look in the mirror and I ask the reflection...who are you? What do you like to do? Are you more than just a wife and a mother? Of course I am! My resolution for this year (since it is so close to my birthday) is to find what makes me happy as a person - to take care of me. Because if Mama ain't happy......nobody is happy!

7 comments:

Tasha Riley said...

Loved this post Rochelle!! Happy Birthday to a lifelong friend!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday My Little Baby I Love You Mom

Anonymous said...

I bought you a box of macaroni and cheese 35 years ago and you decided to come home with me.Thats how you got here!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! LOVE MOM

Anonymous said...

I just want to grab those creeks and sqeeze um'! You were (are) super cute!

I hope that you have a beautiful year full of all those things you mentioned and I also hope that you remember to keep yourself on your own to-do-list.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You're an awesome friend!

Tina

P.S. if you still have that shirt can I barrow it?

Anonymous said...

30 years ago we became friends and i know we will be friends for at least another 30!
Love you
Vicki

Save your Fork said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! I love you Rochelle and miss the good old days of slumber parties and eating ice cream and laughing until our sides hurt. You are a wonderful friend that I am so grateful God has made a part of my life!

Anonymous said...

i loved this post too. Your photo cracks me up! I have one just like it, except i have coke bottle glasses on, and a big gap between my teeth. HOTTIE.

You are so right about how fast it goes. And i'm glad you're thinking about what makes you happy. Because you are the one person i know who is always putting the whole world before her.
love you!
and happy very belated birthday.
and when is our girls trip?!