Thursday, June 4, 2009

Is Honesty The Best Policy?

I was woken up this morning by my husband shaking me quietly. "Rochelle. Shhhhh! I need you to come with me." Why? I asked, still thinking I was in a dream. "I need you to tell me if this is Oscar." What? Where? I was sure I was in a nightmare now. I climbed out of bed in my Christmas pajamas (in June), red tank top, no bra, and slipped on my flip flops. I followed Justin down the street and around the corner, to find our cat laying on the sidewalk. He was hit by a car and I was helpless. Justin placed our black and white kitty in a garbage bag and I walked back sobbing. What am I going to tell the kids? And when? I decided not to tell them this morning, they were just too happy when they woke up. I couldn't wreck that. I thought about not telling them at all and just telling them that he ran away. But I know Brandon would worry his little heart out. Death is a process of life and sometimes you just have to feel the sadness of it all. Although, I find as a mother, it's double the pain to see your children hurting!

1 comment:

tashariley said...

So sorry Rochelle! I'm sure your kids will appreciate the truth though, even though it hurts. :(