Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What you don't know... Sometimes Hurts

"Mama? I'm I doing good at the doctors?"
"Yes, honey! You are doing such a great job."
"Are we done yet?"
"Almost. " So my nose just grew about 3 feet because I "accidentally" forgot to tell my four year old that she was getting four shots. I hate that part about motherhood. I think I would rather get a root canal without a numbing aid then to see my kid in pain. And my bear claws came out when the nurse came in and said she has no one to help her give the shots -they were going to have to do it one at a time. So, I wave my hand in the air like a ghetto diva and say" Oh no you di int, just say that!I will wait until you get another nurse to help you." I just lied to my little girl and now we have to prolong the agony? So, I wait another 20 minutes for the other nurse to help. Gianna hugged my neck so tight (I thought I was gonna pass out) they did all the shots, at once and then it was over. She cried, but she was so proud of herself that she was brave. And I carried the burden and guilt all day that I didn't tell her the truth from the start.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, if I lied about shots with Lauren she wouldn't have spoken to me for a year after that! I am not kidding either. She was mad at me for lying about there being a santa. But I totally sympathize - you either deal with the fear and anxeity before or (in my case) anger and lack of trust after. Being a mom is tough! Hang in there you're doing a great job.

P.S. the rule in our house is that if you get shots you get a sweet treat to help take the trauma away!
Don't tell Donna. lol
love, Tina

Anonymous said...

One of the last times I went to the Doctor's with Kyla (my 18 y/o), she asked me if she needed a shot. I told her "YES"(of course), knowing in fact that she didn't. I lied, and enjoyed every minute of it, as she sat terrified, begging me to help her escape from the office, while all I could do is laugh. So remember, someday these memories well make you laugh and enjoy those old moments as you create new ones. Keep writing, I love it, Elena

Tasha Riley said...

Last time Kevin got shots he was sure he would show Zach what a big boy he was. As soon as those needles went in he SCREAMED!! Now I try to tell them ahead of time, but sometimes I resort to, "I don't know, lets see what the doctor says." Then they can be mad at the doc instead of you.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am, Jenny, Nina Sibert's sister and I am an alcoholic...JUST KIDDING. I had to comment...I just took my 4.5 year old boy, Joey, to get his Kindergarten shots...same thing, he had no clue of the 4 shots. One was a TB test. The doc drew a cute lil bunny on his inside forearm with a pen and said she would put a "special nose" on this bunny...in his blind faith (ugh, mother's guilt) he was SO excited for the "special nose" on the special new friend on his arm...well then she pulls out the needle to make that "special freakin nose"...she stuck it in and he went NUTS as he WATCHED the needle go in! Isn't that mean? Poor lil Joey. Luckily he got 4 treats...one for each shot.

I love your website!!! I am cracking up at you!

Take Care, Jenny (just to drop a famous name, because I know you like that, I look like Tricia Yearwood) heehee

How funny...my code to verify and enter my blog is "ufucu" SO FUNNY!!!!

Anonymous said...

My boss just told me something that I know I will keep for the rest of my life, telling the truth is not necessarily being compassionate. I believe in telling the truth, but sometimes I think they aren't ready to hear the truth. Aaron went to get a tooth pulled, he worried about it for weeks because I told him the truth and couldn't go through with it because he was crying at the dentist office. The dentist told him they were just going to clean the tooth behind the next morning and it took 2 seconds to pull! Life's little lessons are always out there to learn :)