Monday, June 30, 2008

BECAUSE YOU CAN!


I know you all are probably tired of my stories of Half Dome, but I have to tell you, so much happened in those 14 hours! As we were walking on the trail and the terrain got steeper and steeper, I said with a groan, "Why? Why?!" And this lady that was just ahead a few feet, turned around, looked me straight in the eye and said, "Because you can!" I really needed to hear that. Many of my friends tell me that I can make new friends just about anywhere. And this trip was no different. I met one of the neatest people out in the wilderness. Her name was Francis, but we named her Grandma Francis. She told us all about her battle with drugs, her children, her marriage, her weight loss. And the most amazing thing was that she was climbing Half Dome on her own. We ended up walking awhile together and lost contact with her once my friend "Charlie the leg cramp" took over. 4 or 5 hours later we saw her on the trail again and we walked with her all the way back to her camp. She shared with me that she kept repeating the verse, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Which I thought was amazing, since that is my life verse! Its funny the people you can meet by just going out on a limb - or in my case... going out on a rock!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, for Grandma Francis!
You forgot to tell how she kept calling us "losers" because we had all lost so much weight. My favorite thing was when she would start her sentences with "Shit, man". That cracked me up every time!
She was priceless.
Tina

Anonymous said...

so cute. It is amazing where you make friends. Good thing you didn't marry my husband.

Vicki