Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It Was So Nice To Meet You.... Again

Before I had children I wore the black and white glasses called judgement. Everything was black and white to me and I was always had the answer - there were no shades of gray in my eyes. It was so easy to say, "My mom should have... and why didn't she... and she could of, should of, would of." And to be quite frank, it distorted my view of my mother. I got the opportunity to meet with her with brand new specs. I took her on Friday night to see The Temptations. As we drove to the concert, she put on a song that we both loved to listen to when I was younger.. Me and You Against the World by Helen Reddy. I forgot what a beautiful voice my mother had and how she can belt out a tune. I could have listened to her for hours. And we actually welled up in tears together. I forgot the look of happiness and joy in her face, until I saw her bust out in a full on dance as the Temptations sang - her arms above her head, letting all of her worries erase for that one moment in time. I felt myself tuck that look in her face in my memory file - note to self... don't ever forget your mothers look when she is experiencing pure joy. Tuck it close to your heart and relish in it. My intention was just to take her to a concert for her birthday, but I think I am the one that received the gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rochelle I had the best time of my life just being with you! It brought back memories of you and I dancing in the living room and singing together when we would go on rides to see your grandparents in the city. When we were rocking out I would glance at you and think what a beautiful woman I created! My little girl! And yes it was you and me against the world and now you are my world, I Love You Very Much!! Thank You For The Wonderful Daughter You Are!!! Love Bernadete HA!!! Ha!! ( I can't stand that song)I Love You!!! MOM

Anonymous said...

ROCHELLE!! That was just beautiful. There's so much Love in you.
Kelly~