Friday, June 6, 2008

JOY WITHIN THE SORROW

My teenage years were the best time of my life. No worries (except for the occasional final exam), no responsibilities (except to keep my room clean), no bills (except for extra spending money for TACO BELL). I had good friends (still do) and we all had a blast at Youth Group every Sunday night. Our Youth Group Leaders, Gary and Julie, had their hands full with all of us crazy and silly teenagers! Yesterday, Vicki and I attended Gary's memorial service. What a bittersweet moment. It was unlike any other service I have attended. There was such Joy in the room. Memories filled the air - such a sweet sound. Gary was an ordinary man, with an extraordinary love for God, family, and friends. It was so nice to see people there that I haven't seen in years. And an overwhelming feeling came over me - how just one man can bring all these people together. I thought, "When I die, I want a total celebration - with singing and dancing!" Life isn't over just because our bodies our not on this earth anymore. What we planted in peoples hearts will live forever.
P.S to all my girlfriends.... if I die before you... you better play BRICKHOUSE at my funeral!

4 comments:

Double V said...

Girl i will play more then just Brickhouse. Don't you worry your pretty little head. That is if i don't have dementia. Maybe you should write it it your will so your kids will know exactly what to play.
It did bring back a lot of memories. i wish that had parents group at churches.
Maybe i am on to something.....

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have gone with you guys. Thanks for your call the other day. I meant to call you back and time got away. Glad you were able to go to the memorial.

Anonymous said...

which Gary? not the one from camp...the young one??? That is so sad. Beautiful post though. xo

Rochelle said...

No not the young one - not the one Vicki wanted to jump on! But it was his dad that passed away.