Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Sweet Aroma of the First Day of School




Yesterday our household woke up to the sweet smell of a crisp morning. I hugged each kid good morning and could smell their freshly washed hair. I love that smell and I could just bury myself in their locks of bedhead. I helped them get dressed in there freshly washed clothes - Brandon in his rock star shirt - Gianna in her little pink tank top. I love how a little dryer sheet leaves its whisper behind. We could hardly sit down at the breakfast table, the excitement of the first day of school was just to much to bear. Fresh coffee brewed and pinched me into reality - my babies are growing up! I opened the fresh loaf of bread, its newness and comfort, nudging at my heart. It brought me back to when I was little and how excited I was on my first day of school. The kids opened up their backpacks and stuffed their lunch boxes in. I love the sound of a new zipper buzzing in my ears. We got into the car and set off for our first day. We talked about making new friends, field trips, and teachers. We got to school and Brandon was off to his class - I bent down and kissed his minty lips. I walked Gianna to her class with a lump in my throat. She didn't care! She was off and running. I could taste my sweet and salty tears as I let my last baby go!At the end of the day I asked them both what they did on the first day and they told me.....NOTHING! Leave it to kids!

2 comments:

Tasha Riley said...

Hope this week is going well for all of you! Love how you took in all the sights and smells. You made me tear up!

Anonymous said...

SO cute. Luv them!

Mag