Monday, April 14, 2008

Comfort in Numbers

This weekend my husband was planning on taking our son motorcycle riding. Alas, there was great heartache! The place they were going to go riding required a lot of classes and money before they actually could set foot there. So, we asked Brandon what he would want to do in place of that. Of course, he picked the skate park. So we packed up his helmet, knee and elbow pads, skateboard, making the 30 min trek to the cement hills. Now, if I was eight and got to do something like that, I would be overjoyed. But ... oh no! Brandon just sat there for an hour in the 85 degree sun. It took all of my energy not to jump out of my skin. He was embarrassed because there were too many kids he didn't know. So we sat and watched for the whole hour. I told him that next time we would have to bring a friend. There is always comfort in numbers. Although it is difficult for me to watch him be so passive, since that is not in my nature. For those of you who know me, I just do things, with or without people. I know not everyone is like that. I didn't want to push him into it either. So I sat there patiently with him, hoping he would get enough strength to do it on his own. Nope! Better luck next time.

No comments: