Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ready or Not!











"I'm not ready!" I could hear myself scream through the joy and excitement of my four year old. "Mommy, let go! Let go." Hesitantly, I pried my hands of the back of her bike seat, and let go. And there she went, full of pride, independence, and confidence. I stood in the middle of the street, emotions swirling around me - happiness, joyfulness, sadness. This was my baby who was so ready to ride her bike without her training wheels. It was a monumental step for both her and I. As I was standing on the hot rocked street it was as though a semi truck hit me - SHE IS GROWING UP! I want to stop it. Am I bipolar? There have been so many times that I have uttered the words - "I can't wait." And I wish I could take them back. I was so glad I got to experience this bittersweet moment. This is just one of many steps in the growing pain process. As parents, we guide them and they may fall down through it. But it is our job to gather them in our loving arms, just to let them go again.




1 comment:

Tasha Riley said...

Wow, a two-wheeler! That's awesome. And I have to say that every time you mention the fact that Brandon is 8, I think to myself that he can't be that old.