Thursday, September 18, 2008

Back to School Fright

When I was little, I always loved the back to school nights. It gave me a chance to show my mom all my hard work, my desk, and the little seeds that grew in the Clover milk carton. As a parent, it is a whole different ball game - I see it with different eyes now. Last night, I was surrounded by questions that didn't matter and parents that bragged about their four year olds reading an encyclopedia. "Listen hear!" I wanted to shout. "I don't care that your little Tommy can read. Do you want a gold star? Or how about I just slap you in the back of the head?". Okay, so I know that was mean to say... but I don't think a back to school night should be a time of bragging rights in front of a group of adults. But secretly I was looking at my own children's work, notating in my mind, that they were the best! Didn't mean I had to shout it out loud or post it on a billboard!

No comments: