Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Little Sister Syndrome

My sister Linda and I are five and a half years apart. And there was not a day growing up that she didn't tell me how bratty I was. To this day, she rubs it in, I mean tells me, the story of how I would hoard things. Our Papa would buy us candy and I would watch my sister eat hers until it was gone. When I knew she was done, I would whip my candy out and eat it slowly in front of her. I guess I couldn't help myself - maybe a little control issue? Last night, I could hear my own mother's voice cursing inside my head "I can't wait until you have kids". Well her wish finally came true, when I experienced this same scenario with my daughter. Tic Tacs Vs. Gum. Brandon vs Gianna. Gianna placed her gum in a secret drawer. While Brandon was taking a shower, she snuck into his room and ate the entire (except for three) plastic container of Tic Tacs. Now, if I was her, I would have hidden the fact. But NO! Not her. She joyfully skipped, with plastic colorless box in hand, to the shower, where Brandon unexpectedly was waiting her demise! Needless to say, he was upset. And it all came flooding back to me, how my poor older sister had to deal with her little sister!

No comments: